Amanda Wilbanks Whipped Cream Recipe
Let it whip!
Who knew homemade whipped cream could be so delicious and so easy? We’re talking leaps and bounds above the store bought stuff.
Our very own Amanda Wilbanks, owner of Southern Baked Pie Company, admits even she never knew the beauty of fresh, homemade whipped cream, until her husband made it for her, and she’s never gone back!
So, why do we love it so much?
Effortless elegance – Making your own whipped cream is one of the quickest and easiest ways to elevate your culinary game. It’s so much richer and creamier than pre-made options, and it literally couldn’t be easier (just one ingredient and one step)!
Endless possibilities – We love how versatile whipped cream is. Not only can you use it as a topping or a base for endless desserts, but you can also flavor the whipped cream itself to add an unexpected twist to your dish. Looking to add a kick to your next creation? Try topping it with our viral Bourbon Whipped Cream, or create your own variation!
Here are just a few ideas to get you started, but don’t be afraid to let your imagination run wild!
- Vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- Orange or almond extract
- Coconut cream
- Cream cheese (for a stiffer, more frosting-like consistency)
- A splash of espresso or coffee
- Cocoa powder
- Maple syrup
- Peanut butter
- Lime or lemon juice
- Heavy cream (make sure you’re getting the full fat option here)
- Powdered sugar – this is totally optional. Personally, we like ours without, so the richness really shines through, but one thing you can customize about whipped cream is how sweet it is, so feel free to sprinkle away to your heart’s content!
Add your heavy cream to your mixing bowl and put your mixer on medium speed, then whip it real good until you have those perfectly stiff peaks. (To check for stiff peaks, try running your finger or a spoon through the mixture and pulling it out. Does the cream hold its shape and form a small peak where it was disturbed? If not, it probably needs a bit more time.)
- Chef’s tip – Be careful not to overdo it. Overwhipped cream eventually turns to whipped butter which, while delicious, probably isn’t what you’re going for!
- If you’re adding sugar, add it towards the beginning of the mixing process so it has time to dissolve and incorporate fully into the cream. Otherwise, you might end up with powdery or grainy whipped cream.
And the thing we like best about whipped cream? It’s the ultimate topping for any of our delicious dessert pies, like our popular Chocolate Chess and our signature Buttermilk Pie!
We hope you enjoy making and tasting this sweet and easy dessert topping as much as we do!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Did you create a flavor all your own? If so, we’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment below.
For more great recipes and ideas, check out my cookbook, Southern Baked: Celebrating Life with Pie and the rest of our blog!