Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Who doesn’t love Buttermilk Ranch Dressing? This bright, herby concoction has been the best-selling salad dressing in America for nearly 25 years, and there’s a reason for all the love! Ever since it was created by a plumber named Steve Henson in 1949 (as a way to keep his work crews happy during the cold, Alaska winter), millions of people have adopted buttermilk ranch dressing as a household staple. Not only is this cool, creamy delectable creation perfect for dressing, dipping, and topping virtually every item in the pantry and fridge (ranch on pizza, anyone?) it’s also unexpectedly customizable.
Today, we’re going to make a homemade buttermilk ranch dressing so good you’ll be shocked at how easy it was to put together. Use this to top a salad, or even drizzle a little over our Southwestern Taco Pie! However you choose to utilize it, you can’t go wrong.
A couple of things to keep in mind:
- We recommend opting for full fat options here! We know it’s tempting to choose reduced or non-fat options in the hopes of cutting calories, but there’s no substitute for the real thing, and full fat dairy is what really make this dressing sing (and what’s going to really satisfy your craving).
- The best mayonnaise option for homemade ranch (or any recipe!) is Duke’s. We think the unique, tangy edge adds the perfect acidic balance to this dressing.
- We know it’s tempting to use jarred, pre-minced garlic – it’s so convenient, after all! – but fresh chopped garlic packs a flavorful punch in the recipe that you aren’t going to want to miss.
- Soy sauce may sound unconventional, but it adds a beautiful salty richness to the mix, so make sure not to skip it!
- Though traditional ranch recipes call for parsley, dill, and chives, you can also add your favorite herbs, like cilantro, basil, and more to this dressing!
- Don’t be afraid to taste test and adjust as you go! The beauty of making ranch dressing at home is that you can adjust it to your unique pallet. Make it a little saltier, or a little herbier. Add more soy sauce, salt, or herbs as necessary. As long as you like it, there’s no wrong way to make this dressing!
- Homemade buttermilk ranch tends to clump if it’s under-whisked so keep a close eye out for clumps as you whisk and mix well to ensure your dressing is silky smooth.
- Hate dirtying lots of dishes for one simple recipe? You can make this whole recipe in one measuring up or container!
Whisk all ingredients together. Toss with mixed greens or butter lettuce and serve.
Pairs Well With: A green salad, and Chicken Pot Pie or Pot Roast Pie for an all-American dinner that will have everyone going back for seconds!
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 weeks
Shop This Recipe:
Watch the recipe in action here!
Did you like this recipe? If so, how did it go? Leave a comment here and tell us what you think – we can’t wait to hear!
For more great recipes and ideas, check out Amanda’s cookbook, Southern Baked: Celebrating Life with Pie, and the rest of the blog!